The Great Commission
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Matthew 28:16-20 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passage, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- What did the people do when they saw Jesus? (v. 17)
- What does Jesus mean when he says, “All authority on heaven and on earth has been given to me”? (v.18)
- What does Jesus tell the disciples to do based on His authority? (v.19)
- When Jesus’ followers make disciples what are they supposed to teach them? (v.20)
- Do the disciples do this work alone? Who is with them to help them? (v. 20b)
Show God’s Word
- What was the last BIG project you had to do (i.e., like clean up all your toys, or do a project at school), Is it easier to do a big project alone or with a friend? Why or why not?
- Jesus gives a big project to everyone who chooses to follow Him. We call it the Great Commission. What was the great commission Jesus gave us? (Hint: Matthew 28:19-20)
- Jesus asks us to make disciples (those who follow Him as their Lord and Saviour). How did Jesus make disciples? Check out these verses to see how Jesus made disciples of all the nations.
- Matthew 4:23 (Preaching/Teaching God’s Word)
- Mark 10: 43-45 (Service)
- Luke 11:1-4 (Prayer)
Apply God’s Word
- We can make disciples anywhere we go. Where do you go that you can tell others about Jesus (like a grocery store, school, soccer)? Do you have any friends or family who do not know about Jesus? Who are they?
- Take some time now to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help you be bold and tell the friend or family member you listed in question 6 about Jesus. Ask Him to help you make disciples and to help you teach them about Jesus and the Bible. Then pick a day this week that you will tell that person about Jesus. He is with you always!
- One of the greatest ways we can learn how to make disciples is to read the Bible. The more we know God’s Word, the better we can teach God’s Word! Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize Ecclesiastes 4:12 to remember that God is with us and that we as disciples can work together to share His Word with others. “And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken.”
- In order to make disciples, we must be disciples! To become a disciple of Jesus, all we have to do is believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the only Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin (turn away from it) and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.