Don’t Be Selfish
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Acts 9:36-43 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Read Acts 9:36-43 then answer these questions;
- Who was Tabitha? What was she like? (V. 36)
- What happened to Tabitha? (V. 37)
- What did the other disciples who knew Tabitha do? (V. 38)
- When Peter arrived in Joppa, what did the widows show him? Why do you think the widows did this? (V. 39)
- What happened after Tabitha came back to life? (Vv. 41, 42)
Show God’s Word
- Imagine you are running a race. You are in second place when all of a sudden the person running ahead of you trips and hurts their ankle. Would you stop and help the other person finish the race or would you run ahead so you can win first place? If you stopped and helped the other runner, what kind of love do you think people would see?
- How did Tabitha show love to the widows before she died? Who did this love point to?
- After God raised Tabitha from the dead, how did many people respond? Who did this miracle point to? (Acts 9:42).
Apply God’s Word
- Tabitha’s life before she died showed humble love and pointed other people to Jesus. When people look at you and how you live your life, do they see you or do they see Jesus? Why?
- Philippians 2:3 says, “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves”. To help you remember to put others first, take time this week to memorize Philippians 2:3 together as a family.
- What is one thing you can do this week that shows others God’s love? Write down the name of one person (mom, sibling, friend, neighbour) you can count as more significant than yourself and what you will do this week to show them God’s love (could help them with a chore, pray for them).
- God’s Word teaches us how to love others like Jesus loved us! Use the Grow Up in Christ week planner to plan ahead how you can learn to love like Christ by spending time in His Word, in prayer, and in helping others to grow in their faith too. Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- We can show God’s love when we know His love and the most important thing He did to show us His love. God’s great act of love happened when God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, we can understand God’s Word and approach God with confidence in prayer, when we are His disciples. To be a disciple of God, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.