Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read and Explain God’s Word
- Read Genesis 37:18-28, then discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- What did Joseph’s brothers do to him? (vv. 23-24, 27)
- Read Genesis 39:1-3, then answer these questions
- Who bought Joseph from the Ishmaelites? (v. 1)
- Even though Joseph was a slave (a very bad thing!) what miracle did God do? (vv.2-5)
- Read Genesis 50:20a
- What does Joseph mean when he said, “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good”?
Show God’s Word
Glory = The display of one or more of God’s attributes—his holiness, perfection, patience, love, mercy, and justice, to name a few. John says that Jesus glorified the Father by going to the cross (John 17:1-5). That’s because Jesus dying for his people was the greatest display of love in the whole world. When we love people like Jesus did, we display God’s glory too.
- Has God ever used something bad that has happened to you for good (like to help you learn something new, or to show you how to help someone else?)
- God did a lot of miracles in Joseph’s life, even though a lot of bad things happened to him. What does Genesis 50:20 tell us about what God can do when bad things happen to us?
- How does God use miracles to show His glory? (Hint: what character traits of God do miracles show us?)
Apply God’s Word
- Is there something hard you are going through right now? (like, starting school, having a sick grandparent, missing your friends?). What is it? How do you think God might be showing His glory even in this hard time?
- Take some time now to pray and ask God to use these hard things for your good and His glory. Check out Matthew 6:9-13 to see how Jesus teaches us to pray!
- One of the greatest ways we can learn more about God’s glory is to read the Bible. The more we know God’s Word, the better we can teach God’s Word! Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize Romans 8:28 to remember that God uses everything- good and bad for our good and His glory. “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.”
- God showed His glory most when Jesus died for God’s people. We can show God’s glory more when we are more like Him. To become more like Jesus,we first have to know Him and believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the only Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin (turn away from it) and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.