Stand Your Ground When Friends Are Arguing
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read and Explain God’s Word
- Read 1 Kings 12:1-16, then discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- Who went to King Rehoboam? (vv2-3)
- Why did they go to speak to Rehoboam? (v.4)
- Who did King Rehoboam speak to, to get advice about what to do with the Isrealites? (vv.6 & 10)
- What did the wise men tell Rehoboam to do? (v. 7)
- What did his friends tell him to do? (v.11-12)
- Who did King Rehoboam listen to? (vv. 8, 13)
- What happened because Rehoboam listened to his friends, and not the wise leaders? (v.16)
Show God’s Word
- Have you ever had an argument you didn’t know how to solve on your own? Who did you go to for help (another friend? Sibling? parent?).
- Usually when we argue with someone it is because we think they sinned against us, or they think we have sinned against them. (“Sinned against” means that we have done something bad to another person, that does not please God, like lying, making fun of someone, being selfish, or not sharing with them). Jesus teaches in Matthew 18:15-20, what to do when someone sins against us.
- If it is safe to do so, who do you talk to first when a friend or family member sins against you? (v.15)
- If, after you talk one-on-one with your friend or family member about the sin problem, you are still not able to solve the fight, what do you do? (v.16)
- Who might be a wise person you could go to, to help you with step 2? (hint: who is an older person you know?)
- If you, with the help of your parents still can’t solve the problem, where else can you go for help? (v. 17)
- God gives us wise people in our homes, schools, and churches to help us when we argue with others. As kids, we can go to an older, wise person at any time for help;
- Who at home can you go to for wise help?
- Who at school can you go to for wise help?
- Who at church can you go to for wise help?
Apply God’s Word
- God’s Word gives us everything we need to be wise when there is an argument with others. God tells us to love and forgive others, like He has loved and forgiven us. Is there someone who has sinned against you that you need to love and forgive? Who is it? What steps do you need to take to love and forgive them this week?
- It is hard to love and forgive others when they have hurt us– that’s why God gave us the Holy Spirit to help us be wise and follow God. Take some time now to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help you honour God when you disagree with others, and for His help to love and forgive the person you listed in question 5.
- We can always get wise help from God, by praying and reading His word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize Proverbs 10:12 to remember that when you have a disagreement with a friend or family member, encourage yourself and others to love and forgive each other. “Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offenses.”
- God’s Word gives us wisdom in His Bible which tells us everything we need to know to live Godly lives. We can’t live like God wants us to if we don’t know and believe His Word and what He teaches us about Jesus. When we know the truth we realize we have to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the only Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We must repent of our sin (turn away from it) and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.