Be Kind When You Disagree
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read and Explain God’s Word
- Read Romans 14:1-12, then discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who is the author speaking to in this passage?
- What two things were the believers arguing about? (vv.2 & 5)
- What does Paul tell the believers NOT to do even though they disagree? (v.3)
- Why shouldn’t the believers judge one another? (v.4)
- What should all believers do, no matter what their opinions are? (v. 6)
- Why should all believers honour the Lord and give thanks to Him in everything they do? (vv. 8-9)
- Who has the right to judge all decisions and opinions that we have? (v.12)
Show God’s Word
- Have you ever disagreed with someone? (like a sibling, friend, or parent?). How did you solve the disagreement? Did you fight, talk, get help from an adult, or go to the Lord together?
- Romans 14:3 tells us that it’s okay to disagree with other believers at times, what matters to God is how we disagree with others. God gives us the Holy Spirit to help us live and disagree in honour of the Lord. What do Galatians 5:22-23 and Ephesians 4:29 tell us about how we should speak when we disagree with someone?
- Sometimes people are doing something hurtful to us, or someone else. When this happens we need to tell them that what they are doing is wrong, (or ask our parents or teachers to help us). What does Ephesians 4:15 tell us about how we are supposed to tell the truth to others?
Apply God’s Word
- When you disagree with someone, what fruit of the Spirit is hardest for you to remember? (Hint: is it hard for you to be patient, loving, or kind? Maybe it is hard for you to stop yelling and be self-controlled)?
- It is hard to honour the Lord in all that we do on our own– that’s why He gave us the Holy Spirit. Take some time now to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help you honour God when you disagree with others, and for His help to show the fruit of the Spirit you listed in question 5.
- One of the greatest ways we can learn more about how to love God and to love others, is to read the Bible. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize Colossians 4:6 to remember that when you talk to others, use speech that is loving and kind, Just like how God speaks to us, “Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.”
- God’s Word teaches us about who we are in His Bible which tells us everything we need to know to live Godly lives. We can’t live like God wants us to if we don’t know and believe His Word and what He teaches us about Jesus. When we know the truth we realize we have to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the only Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We must repent of our sin (turn away from it) and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.