Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Luke 5:1-11 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Take a look in your Bible at Luke 5:1-11
- What is the title of this Bible section? What is a Disciple?
- What were the fishermen doing in verse 2? Was it the beginning of their work day or the end?
- What did Jesus ask Simon to do? Did he think it made sense to go out fishing again? Did Simon do what Jesus asked? (vs.3-5)
- What happened when Simon did what Jesus asked him to do? (vv. 6-7)
- How did Simon react when he realized that Jesus was the Lord? (vv.8-9, 11)
- In Verse 10 Jesus says, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men”. What does Jesus mean?
Show God’s Word
Luke 5:9-10 says, “For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish that they had taken, and so also were James and John, sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.”
- Have you ever gone fishing? How long did it take you to catch one fish? Did the fish just jump in the boat or did you have to work to catch them?
- When we believe in Jesus, He asks us to tell others about Him too. Like catching fish, Jesus asks us to go out and find people who need to know about Him so that they can believe in Him too. What other Bible verses talk about fishing for people by telling others about Jesus? (Hint: Matthew 28:19-20)
Apply God’s Word
- What kinds of things distract you from telling others about Jesus?
- Even though Jesus asked Peter and Andrew to get back in the boat and lower the nets again, it was Jesus who brought the fish into the net. In the same way, even though Jesus calls us to tell others about Him, is it up to us to get people to believe in Him or is it up to Him? Why is this important (and wonderful!) for us to remember?
- What can you do when you are distracted from doing the things Jesus has asked you to do? (Hint: Pray, ask for help from other believers, read your Bible)
- Who can you tell about Jesus this week? Write their name below and choose a day this week to tell them all about what Jesus has done for us.
- Take time this week to memorize Matthew 28:19-20 to help you remember what Jesus has asked us to do. It says, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
- We can tell others about what Jesus has done when we know what He has done. Use the Grow Up in Christ week planner to learn about Jesus by spending time in His Word, in prayer, and in helping others to grow in their faith too. Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- We can tell others about what Jesus did when we know who He is and what He has done for us. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, we can understand God’s Word and approach God with confidence in prayer when we are His disciples. To be a disciple of Jesus, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.