God is in Control
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read and Explain God’s Word
- Read Mark 4:35-41, then discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- Where did Jesus want the disciples to take Him? (vv.35-36)
- What happened when they were in the boat? (v. 37)
- How did Jesus react to the storm? How did the disciples react? (v.38)
- Was Jesus in control of the storm? (v.39)
- Why should the disciples not have been afraid? (v.40-41)
- What evidence does this passage give that Jesus is God? (v.41)
Show God’s Word
- When was the last time you felt like everything was out of control? (Hint: when was the last time you felt sad, scared, or angry? What happened?)
- The disciples were afraid because they didn’t trust Jesus, or believe that He is God and more powerful than everything in this world. The more we love and know Jesus, the more we trust Him. What do these scriptures teach us about trusting that God is in control?
- In circumstances: Romans 8:28
- In making decisions: Proverbs 3:5-6
- In arguments and fights: Psalm 20:7
- What did the disciples do when they were afraid and everything felt out of control? Who did they go to?
Apply God’s Word
- Who do you go to first when you feel scared? Why do you go to them?
- Jesus is in control of everything. What situation are you afraid of right now that you need to trust God with? (for example, COVID, school, fight with a friend)
- Take some time now to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to help you trust and believe that Jesus is in control of the situation you listed in Question 6.
- When we know Jesus and love Him, we can trust Him more and more. We can trust Him more by praying and reading His word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize Isaiah 26:3 to remember that when we put our trust in Jesus and focus on Him, He gives us His peace “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.”
- God’s Word and Spirit gives us His peace as we put our trust in Jesus. We can’t have God’s peace if we don’t know and believe His Word and what He teaches us about Jesus. When we know the truth we realize we have to believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the only Saviour in order to be saved from our sin. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We must repent of our sin (turn away from it) and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.