Reading the Bible
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Luke 2:41-52 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Read Luke 2:41-52 then answer these questions;
- What is the title of this Bible passage?
- Where was Jesus going with His family? (vv. 41)
- How old was Jesus in this story? (v. 42)
- Did Jesus go home with His parents? (vv. 43-45)
- Where was Jesus? What was He doing when His parents found Him? (v. 46)
- Did Jesus know God’s Word? (v. 47)
- Why is it important that we know that “Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature and in favour with God and man”? What does this tell us about Jesus? What does it tell us about us? (v.52)
Show God’s Word
Matthew 4:4 “But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- Jesus describes the Bible as being like bread. What would happen if you didn’t eat bread (or any other food)? Now what do you think would happen if you never read God’s Word? Why would this happen?
- Why is it essential for us to read God’s Word everyday and spend time in prayer?
- How do we know that God’s Word can help us in any situation? (Hint: 1 Peter 1:3, Matthew 4:4b, “Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that comes from the mouth of God”).
Apply God’s Word
- What kinds of things do you go to for encouragement, knowledge, or to grow? The Internet? Television? Friends?
- Why do you think reading the Bible is the most helpful thing you can go to, to grow in wisdom rather than going to the other things you listed in question 6?
- Just because we know that God’s Word is the best way to have our Spirit fed, does not mean it is easy for us to choose to spend time with God by reading His Word. When was the last time you read your Bible? Or spent time praying?
- Like Jesus, we MUST spend time with God in prayer and in reading God’s Word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize Matthew 4:4 to remember that only God’s Word can really fill us up and comfort us: “But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
- God cares for us, loves us, and provides for us, but do you know Him? When we know who He is and what He has done for us our whole life changes. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, by the Holy Spirit, we can understand God’s Word, and be comforted by God, who knows everything about us! To be a disciple of Jesus, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.