Learning from your Mistakes
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading John 18:15-18, 25-27 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passages, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- Was Peter one of Jesus disciples? (v.15)
- Did Peter tell the truth when the servant girl asked him if he was Jesus’ disciple? (v.17)
- Did Peter tell the truth when the officers asked him if he was Jesus’ disciple? (v. 18, 25)
- Did Peter tell the truth when the servant of the high priest asked him if he was Jesus’ disciple? (Vv. 26-27)
- Read John 21:15-17
- What Question did Jesus ask Peter?
- How many times did Jesus ask Peter this question?
- How do these verses show us that Jesus forgave Peter?
Show God’s Word
- There is an important difference between a bad choice and a mistake.
A bad choice is something we decide to do even though we know it is wrong.
A mistake is something bad that we did not plan to do.
Both a bad choice and a mistake can be sin–But guess what? God can forgive both!
- What is another word that we can use to describe when God forgives us when we mess up? (Hint: It rhymes with ‘space’ and looks like this: G_ _ _ _)
- Can God still use us to do things for His glory if we mess up? (Hint look at Peter!: Acts 2:14-36)
Apply God’s Word
- How does knowing Jesus showed grace and forgave Peter help you to go to him for forgiveness when you sin?
- What sin do you need to confess to God? Look in the Bible with your parents for verses that talk about God’s forgiveness and grace.(Good start: Ephesians 2:8-9 & 1 John 1:9)
- One way we can get help from God to make good decisions and to learn from mistakes is to spend time with Him in prayer and in reading His Word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize Proverbs 26:11 to remind yourself to learn from your mistakes and seek wisdom from God!; “Like a dog that returns to his vomit is a fool who repeats his folly.”
- All of us sin, but we can overcome them with God’s help! The way to have God’s help is to first believe that Jesus is our Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.