Disciples Level Up
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Mark 10:17-31 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- What is a follower of Jesus Christ (ie-a disciple)?
- What did Jesus ask the rich young man to give up in order to truly be His disciple (v. 21)?
- Why did Jesus ask the rich young man to give up these things? (Hint: Matthew 16:25; Luke 4:8)
- Was the rich young man able to give up everything to have a stronger relationship with Jesus (v. 22)?
- What does God promise to give to those who give up the things of this world to follow Him (vv. 29-31)?
Show God’s Word
- a) Ask your parents to go to the cupboard and to show you the ‘eye of a needle’ (v. 25). Do you think it would be hard for a camel to fit through that!?
b) In v. 25, Jesus says that it is easier for the camel to go through that, than for someone who is very rich in this world to get into heaven! Why?
c) What thing(s) would be hard for you to give up if Jesus asked you to?
Apply God’s Word
- Being a disciple means we are trying to be more and more like Jesus because He is our example. Sometimes we look to people or other things instead of Jesus to give us comfort, hope, satisfaction and fulfillment. Is there anyone or anything you look to for these things instead of Jesus? (Some examples: Television, Mondy, Friends, Music). Spend some time confessing this to God in prayer and ask Him to help you look to Him more and more (asking Jesus for forgiveness for looking to other things and not Him!).
- What is God asking you to give up or stop doing so you can have a better relationship with Him? What things can you do this week to give these things up and to start living God’s way?
- We are Jesus’ disciples when we have been saved by Him and are growing in relationship with Him. As His power works in us, we grow to love Him more, we obey Him and become more like Him. We become a disciple when we know that God sent His Son Jesus to die for us and that He made it possible for us to have a personal relationship with Him. To be a disciple of God, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.