How to Make Friends
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Matthew 7:15-20 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passages, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who is telling this story?
- What does Jesus mean when He says that false prophets come “in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves”? (v.15)
- How can you tell what kind of tree or bush you are looking at? (v. 16)
- What kind of fruit do good, healthy trees have? (v. 17)
- What kind of fruit do bad, unhealthy trees have? (v.17)
- Can healthy trees make bad fruit? Can sick trees make good fruit? (v.18)
- If people are like trees, how can you tell a person who is trying to be good versus a person who is bad? (v.20)
Show God’s Word
- Have you ever dressed up in a costume? What did you dress up as? Who or what were you pretending to be?
- Sometimes people look nice on the outside because they pretend to be nice, but on the inside they are actually mean. How can we tell if someone is really trying to be a good, nice, Godly person? (Hint: Matthew 7:20).
- What are some “fruits” of a Godly person? (Hint: Galatians 5:22-23)
- Do Godly fruits rot? Or do they last for a long time?
Apply God’s Word
- What kinds of things can you look for in a friend to make sure you are making friends with someone trying to grow in Godliness? (Hint: Galatians 5:22-23).
- What fruits are you growing? Take time to pray and ask God to grow Godly fruit in your life so you can be more like Him, and be a good friend!
- One way we can grow good fruit is to spend time with God in prayer and in reading His Word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize Proverbs 12:26 to remind yourself to be a good friend and to look for good friends!; “One who is righteous is a guide to his neighbor, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.”
- All of us can grow good fruit, but only if we first believe that Jesus is our Saviour. The way to have God’s help to bear good fruit is to first believe that Jesus is our Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.