How to Stop Feeling Guilty
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Luke 19:1-10 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passage, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- Who is Zacchaeus? What was his job?(Vs. 2)
- Who was Zacchaeus trying to see? What did he do to be able to see them? (Vs. 3-4)
- When Jesus saw Zacchaeus what did he do? How did Zacchaeus respond? (vs. 5-6)
- Why was the crowd mad that Jesus wanted to go to Zacchaeus’ house? (vs. 7)
- What did Zacchaeus confess to Jesus? (vs. 8)
- Did Jesus Forgive Zacchaeus? (Vs. 9)
- Who did Jesus come to forgive? (v.10)
Show God’s Word
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
- Have you ever felt bad about something you did? (Like maybe you lied to your parents or took a toy from your sibling?)
- When we do something or say something wrong and feel bad about it, it’s called Guilt. Since Jesus is perfect and never sins, Zacchaeus saw the bad things he did, like stealing, and felt guilty. What did Zacchaeus do when he felt guilty? (Hint: Luke 19:8)
- Is Jesus able to forgive anyone? (Hint: V.10)
Apply God’s Word
God’s Grace= Freely Given. Used to describe the free gift of eternal life God gives to all his children. Salvation is all grace, a free gift from God, just because He loves us. The greatest grace we receive is God himself!
God’s Mercy= Compassion. Used to describe getting something good instead of what is deserved. God shows us mercy when, because of Jesus’ death on the cross for us, he spares us the punishment we deserve and forgives us instead.
- How does knowing about God’s Grace change how you talk to Him in prayer? (Hint: Thanksgiving!)
- How does knowing about God’s Mercy change what you talk to God about when you pray? (Hint: Confession)
- When we feel guilty we need to tell God- He wants to hear from us and forgive us. What is something you need to confess to God? Spend some time now, praying and asking for God’s forgiveness. Then thank Him for His grace- Sending Jesus so we can be forgiven!
- One way we can grow in our knowledge of God’s grace is to spend time with God in prayer and in reading His Word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize 1 John 1:9 to remember that because Jesus died for us on the cross, we can always talk to God. Because of God’s grace, we can ask for forgiveness; “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”
- God wants to forgive us, but first we have to receive His Grace. We can have forgiveness from God because of Jesus and what He did for us on the Cross. The way to have God’s Grace and Mercy is to first believe that Jesus is our Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.