Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading John 15:1-5 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Read John 15:1-5, then answer these questions;
- What is the title of this Bible passage?
- Jesus is speaking this passage to His disciples. How does He describe Himself (v. 1)? How does He describe His Father (v. 1)? Who are the branches (v. 5)?
- What is the job of a vinedresser (v. 2)?
- Why does a vinedresser prune a vine (v. 2)?
- Can a branch on a vine make fruit by itself? (v.4)
- What does Jesus mean when He says, “Abide in me”? (v. 4)
Show God’s Word
“I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5
- Draw a picture of a vine with branches and fruit. On the vine, write “Jesus”, on one of the branches put your own name. What kinds of things does the vine give to branches so that they can grow? Can a branch grow if it is no longer attached to the vine? (Think about plants in a garden!)
- What kinds of things does Jesus say we must do if we are to stay attached to Him like a branch (Hint: v. 7a, v. 7b, v. 10) ?
Apply God’s Word
- Think about all of the ways you can get close to Jesus. What is the specific next step you can take this week? (Hint: look at your answers to question 4!). Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize James 4:8 to remember that when we come close to God, He comes close to us: “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”
- God cares for us, loves us, and provides for us, but do you know Him? When we know who He is and what He has done for us our whole life changes. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, by the Holy Spirit, we can understand God’s Word and approach God with confidence in prayer when we are His disciples. To be a disciple of Jesus, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.