Don’t Just Try
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Read 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 then answer these questions;
- Why do runners compete in a race? (v.24)
- What does it mean for an athlete to have self-control? Do they have self-control in some things or every thing? (v. 25)
- What kind of prize does an athlete win? (v. 25a)
- This Bible passage says that living our lives for Jesus is like running a race;
- Why do we live our lives to honour Jesus? (v.24)
- What is the prize for people who live their lives for Jesus? (v.25b)
- What does it mean to discipline your body? (v. 27a)
- Why should we discipline our bodies? (v. 27b)
- What can happen to our witness for Jesus before others, if we aren’t disciplining our bodies in Godliness? (v. 27c)
Show God’s Word
“for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.” 1 Timothy 4:8
- What are some of the greatest prizes you have ever received? Do you think Jesus is a greater prize than those? Why or why not?
- Have you ever wanted to get better at something? Like playing a sport, drawing, or something at school? How did you get better? Did you just try once? Or did you practice regularly?
- What kinds of things has Jesus given us to help us ‘train’ or grow in Godliness? List them below.
- Should we try these Godly things just once? Or should we practice them regularly? Why or why not?
Apply God’s Word
- Look at the ways we can grow in Godliness that you listed in question 5. Pick one that you think you need to train in and practice so you can grow in Godliness. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to train in Godliness by spending time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to run the race of the Christian life faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- When we train for Godliness, are we able to train on our own strength or do we need help? Here’s great news: Jesus came to earth as fully God and fully man and lived a perfect life by not sinning even once! He ran a perfect race and was never disqualified! Now He promises that He will give us all we need to run the race of Godliness, and receive the prize He has for us if we are His disciples!
- Take time this week to memorize 1 Timothy 4:8 to remember that it is good to train ourselves in Godliness: “for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.”
- God cares for us, loves us, and provides for us, but do you know Him? When we know who He is and what He has done for us our whole life changes. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, by the Holy Spirit, we can understand God’s Word, grow in Godliness and run to win the race that He has put infront of us! To be a disciple of Jesus, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.