What Will Make Me Happy?
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading 2 Samuel 6:16-21 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passage, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- Take a look at this picture of what the Ark of the Lord might have looked like. Why was the Ark of the Lord special? (Hint: Exodus 25:21, 22)
- What did David do when the Ark first arrived into the city? (v.16)
- How did David thank God? (v.17)
- How did David share his joy with others? (vv.18, 19)
- How did Michal react when she saw David dancing when the Ark arrived? (v.16)
- What did Michal mean when she said, “How the king of Israel honored himself today, uncovering himself today before the eyes of his servants’ female servants, as one of the vulgar fellows shamelessly uncovers himself!”? (v.20)
- Did Michal want people to praise David or praise God? (v. 20)
- Did David want people to praise him or praise God? (v. 21)
Show God’s Word
- Think about the last time you were happy. What did your face look like? Did you share what was making you feel happy with someone else? Who was it?
- Happiness is short and only lasts while something we think is good happens. Joy comes from God and lasts forever whether something good or bad happens. Michal wanted to focus on short term things like being rich and famous. David wanted to celebrate the joy God had given him by praising God. Who would you rather be like, Michal or David?
- Even though Michal was rude to David, was David still able to rejoice and thank God? Why or why not?
Apply God’s Word
- God loves us so much He gives us things that make us feel happy AND He gives us joy that lasts forever. What does this tell you about who God is? How does this change how you pray and talk to Him?
- Read Habbakuk 3:17-18. What does this verse tell you about joy when life is hard?
- One of the greatest ways we can grow joy is to spend time with God in prayer and in reading His Word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize James 5:13 to remember that our God loves us and gives us joy no matter what is happening in our life. We can always go to Him; “Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praise.”
- We can have joy in every situation when we know and believe in Jesus. The way to have God’s joy is to first believe that Jesus is our Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.