Why Do I Want to Do Things That Are Wrong?
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Acts 1:1-8 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passage, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage?
- Was the Holy Spirit with Jesus? (v.2)
- What did Jesus ask the disciples to wait for in Jerusalem? (vv.4-5)
- What did the disciples think Jesus was going to do? (v.6)
- Who really gets to decide when Jesus will come back to earth? (v.7)
- What are Jesus’ disciples supposed to do until Jesus comes back? Who will help them? (v.8)
Show God’s Word
- Do you ever feel like you do the same bad thing over and over? (like, fighting with your brothers and sisters or parents?). Have you tried to stop doing these things?
- Who is the Holy Spirit? Is He God?
- What do the scriptures below tell us about the Holy Spirit?
- John 14:16
- John 14:26b
- John 16:7-9, 13-14
- Galatians 5:22-23
Apply God’s Word
- How do we get the Holy Spirit to live inside of us? (Ephesians 1: 13-14)
- Ephesians 1: 13-14 tells us that the Holy Spirit lives inside of us if we are followers of Jesus. How does knowing that the Holy Spirit can live inside of you help you to choose not to sin (Hint: 2 Timothy 1:7!)?
- Is there a sin you keep on doing that you need to ask the Holy Spirit for help to say no to? What is it? Take some time now to pray, and ask the Holy Spirit to help you stop sinning. Then ask the Holy Spirit to help you find a verse in the Bible you can remember when you feel tempted to sin again. Write out your verse in the space below…
- One of the greatest ways we can grow understanding who the Holy Spirit is, is to read the Bible. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize Galatians 5:16 to remember that God’s grace sets us free and His Holy Spirit helps us to say no to sin. “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.”
- We choose to follow Jesus God gives us His Holy Spirit to help us love and obey Him. The way to have God’s Helper, the Holy Spirit, is to first believe that Jesus is the Son of God and the only Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin (turn away from it) and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him as our Lord and Saviour. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.