How to Pray to God
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Matthew 6:5-13 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- How can we talk to God? Does it have to be complicated, long, or perfect? Why or why not? (v. 7)
- In Matthew 6:9-13, Jesus shows us how to pray so we can copy Him.
- In verse 9, who is our Father? What does hallowed mean?
- What other words can you find in the Bible that describe God the Father?
- Verse 10 says “Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. When we pray, should we ask God to answer our prayers how we want them answered or how He knows is best?
- What is the ‘daily bread’ Jesus tells us to ask for in v. 11?
- In v. 12, Jesus tells us that we are to pray to God for forgiveness of our sins. Yet, Jesus says that God will forgive us in the same way we are doing what?
- In v. 13, what does Jesus tell us we should be praying for each day? Why is this important?
Show God’s Word
- We ask our caregivers for things all of the time. Do they always give us what we ask for? Why or why not?
- Does God always answer our prayers? Is His answer always what we think it should be?
- Can we trust that God will do what is best for us?
- Sometimes it feels like God is not answering our prayers. What does God’s Word tell us about how long we should pray? (Hint: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
Apply God’s Word
- Think of something you have been praying for and write out your prayer just like Jesus prayed in Matthew 6:9-13. Take time praying this back to God.
- Is there someone that you need to forgive for something they have said or done to you? If so, take time right now and ask Jesus to help you forgive them.
- Take time this week to memorize 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 to remind you to never stop talking to God through prayer. Try making actions and get your caregivers to record you saying the memory verse. They can even send the video to firstname.lastname@example.org to show the Hope Kids team what you are learning!
- God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, we can approach God with confidence in prayer, because we are His disciple. To be a disciple of God, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.