What Do I Do When I’m Mad?
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading 1 Samuel 25 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- After you have read the passage, discuss these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters in this passage? How does the passage describe them? (Hint: vs. 3)
- What did David ask Nabal for? (vs.8)
- Did David ask nicely or was he rude? (vs. 6).
- How did Nabal respond? Was he nice or was he rude? (vs. 10-11).
- Nabal’s refusal to help David made him angry. What did David want to do to Nabal because he was angry? (vv. 13, 21-22).
- How did Abigail help David not to sin in his anger? (vv. 28, 30-31, 33)
Show God’s Word
- Think about the last time you were angry. Did you want to get back at the person who made you mad? Why did you want to respond like that?
- David was mad at Nabal for not helping him and he wanted to get back at him by hurting Nabal as much as Nabal hurt David- This is called revenge. What does Romans 12:19-20 tell us about revenge?
- David had two options when he was angry- He could sin in his anger by seeking his own revenge, or he could trust God and choose to forgive and have peace with the people who made him mad. How did Abigail help David not to sin in his anger?
Apply God’s Word
- What should we do when we are angry and tempted to get our own revenge? How can God help us through His power?
- How does knowing that God has already forgiven you for every bad, hurtful, sinful thing you have ever done and will ever do, help you to forgive others and seek peace with them, even if they did something that made you feel mad?
- Have you been angry about something lately? Have you tried to have peace with the person or situation? Take some time now to pray and ask God for forgiveness if you have sinned in your anger, then ask Him for help to have peace with Him and others.
- One way we can grow in not sinning in our anger is to spend time with God in prayer and in reading His Word. Use the Grow Up In Christ planner and schedule the time you need to spend time with Jesus. Remember- as you get close to Him, He will get close to you and give you the strength you need to live faithfully! Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (email@example.com)
- Take time this week to memorize Ephesians 4:26 to remember that we need to seek peace with others and not sin in our anger; “Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger,”
- We can forgive others who have sinned against us because God has forgiven us. We can have forgiveness from God because of Jesus and Him dying to pay the penalty for our sin on the Cross. The way to have God’s Grace and Mercy is to first believe that Jesus is our Saviour. God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.