Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Numbers 13:1-2, 17-33 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Read Numbers 13:1-2, 17-33 then answer these questions…
- Who are the main characters in this story?
- What is happening?
- What did the spies see in the land of Canaan? (vv.27-29)
- Why were they afraid? What did the spies do out of their fear? (Hint: Did they trust God? vv. 31-33)
- How was Joshua & Caleb’s response different from the other spies? Why was it different? What did Caleb believe about God that the other spies did not believe? (v.30)
Show God’s Word
“for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7
- Have you ever been afraid to do something? What was it?
- How do you act when you are afraid of something?
- Look at 2 Timothy 1:7. What does God’s Spirit give us to fight fear?
- How did Caleb and Joshua fight fear with power, love, and self-control? What did they remember about God?
Apply God’s Word
- How does knowing God has given you a spirit not of fear, but of power, love and self-control change what you can do when you start to feel fearful in a situation this week?
- Take time this week to memorize 2 Timothy 1:7 and write it down on a piece of paper. Be sure to place it somewhere you will be able to see it each day and recite it!
- We can’t grow in overcoming our fears unless we grow in knowing God! Use the Grow Up in Christ week planner to learn about God’s love for you and His faithfulness by spending time in His Word, in prayer, and in helping others to grow in their faith too. Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- God demonstrated His love and faithfulness to us when He sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. Through Jesus, we can understand God’s Word, approach God with confidence in prayer and no longer be a slave to fear because we are His disciples! To be a disciple of Jesus, we must give up our lives and become like Him! How can we do this? We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
A_________ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God
C________ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.