Virtual Hope Kids - November 12, 2022
Don't Be Selfish
Step 1: Sing the Songs
Step 2: Memorize the Word Together
Step 3: Watch the Teaching Together
Step 4: Discuss the Teaching Together
Don’t Be Selfish
Read God’s Word
- Spend time reading Acts 9:36-43 with your family.
Explain God’s Word
- Read Acts 9:36-43 then answer these questions;
- What is the title of this passage in the Bible?
- Who are the main characters?
- Are there any words or phrases that are repeated? What are they?
- Who was Tabitha? What was she like? (V. 36)
- What happened to Tabitha? (V. 37)
- What did the other disciples who knew Tabitha do? (V. 38)
- When Peter arrived in Joppa, what did the widows show him? Why do you think the widows did this? (V. 39)
- What happened after Tabitha came back to life? (Vv. 41, 42)
Show God’s Word
- Imagine you are running a race. You are in second place when all of a sudden the person running ahead of you trips and hurts their ankle. Would you stop and help the other person finish the race or would you run ahead so you can win first place? If you stopped and helped the other runner, what kind of love do you think people would see?
- How did Tabitha show love to the widows before she died? Who did this love point to?
- After God raised Tabitha from the dead, how did many people respond? Who did this miracle point to? (Acts 9:42).
Apply God’s Word
- Tabitha’s life before she died showed humble love and pointed other people to Jesus. When people look at you and how you live your life, do they see you or do they see Jesus? Why?
- What is one thing you can do this week that shows others God’s love? Write down the name of one person (mom, sibling, friend, neighbour) you can count as more significant than yourself and what you will do this week to show them God’s love (could help them with a chore, pray for them).
- God’s Word teaches us how to love others like Jesus loved us! Use the Grow Up in Christ week planner to plan ahead how you can learn to love like Christ by spending time in His Word, in prayer, and in helping others to grow in their faith too. Share your plan with your family, friends, and the Hope Kids team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Take time this week to memorize Philippians 2:3 to remind yourself to love others more than yourself this week; ““Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves”
- We can show God’s love when we know His love and the most important thing He did to show us His love. God showed His love for us in Jesus and God sent His only Son, Jesus, to come to earth and die for our sins, so we can be saved and have a personal relationship with Him. To accept this gift from God, we must believe that Jesus died for us so that we can be God’s child too. We first must repent of our sin and believe in Jesus as our Lord and Saviour. When we do this, we put our faith in Him. If you want to begin a personal relationship with Him, and put your faith in Him alone, all you need to do is;
- A_______ (Admit) that you have done wrong and ask God to forgive you for disobeying Him.
- B_______ (Believe) that God sent Jesus to take the punishment for your sin. Trust that you are forgiven because Jesus made you right with God.
- C______ (Choose) to spend your whole life depending on God’s power to help you say no to sin, and to worship God only. Rely on God to help you tell others that God is your leader and the most important person in your life.